Flag of the Cayman Islands

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Training notes

A.M.
I've been having a string of bad practices over lately. I just didn't feel like I had much coordination during the throw. It was greatly evident while throwing the 8kg hammer. But every time I go through times like these I learn to focus more on developing better technique than trying to throw hard. Coach B. has changed my winds once again. He has me bend my right side on the wind and keep my hands close to my right ear. He also has been coaching me to not turn/move my left leg first. The hammer should move around the left. And he has been stressing not to help/lift my right leg once the hammer has made it pass 0 degrees going into 90 degrees. These things tend to happen more when I'm have a bad rhythm day. Even though I was making these mistakes he still found good things to say about the throw which helps my motivation.

P.M.
I felt totally different this afternoon with the 7.26kg and 6kg hammers. I felt I had better coordination and I move the ball a lot faster. Coach B had me stand more up right in the winds then bend my back going into the turns. This helped with pushing the ball. Right now my specific strength seems to be very good. I'm moving weights at good speeds which can be transfered to the throw.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike. It's Janelle. A long lost friend of yours from FIU back in 2002-2004. Not sure if you remember me, for some reason you've been on my mind and I thought I should look you up to see how far you have progressed in your objective to be the worlds greatest hammer throw athlete ever. I see you're still doing your thing as always and I'm proud of you. God bless. Sent me a not when you can...jdjobe@aol.com

Anonymous said...

One more note...I'm praying that you make it to the 2012 olympics. It would be fun to yell at the tv screen watching you throw down. Literally! Better yet, maybe I'll get the chance to cheer you on at the actual event. Either way, I hope you qualify big and win a gold. Carpe Diem. Janelle ;-)

Vote for your favorite slogan